5.20.2009

Cucumber Salad

This is a nice addition to some heavier summer fare... it pairs very well with BBQ sauced items in particular. Also, it's pretty well idiot-proof, inexpensive and doesn't require any actual cooking. Score.

1 english cucumber or 2 regular cucumbers
1/4c red wine vinegar
1 tsp honey
1/2 tsp djion mustard
black pepper to taste

In a large bowl, mix together everything except the cucumber until it's very well combined. Slice the cucumber very thin. I use a knife, but I've used the 'slice' side of my box grater when I'm in a hurry. If you have a mandolin, that would work really well too.

Add the cucumber to the dressing. Toss to make sure the cucumber is thoroughly coated, then chill for at least 4 hours. Yah, that's really it. If you want you could add fresh herbs (dill in particular is nice) but I love it either way.

Picky Husband Info: I use a bit less mustard than specified here... I stir the mustard with a fork and use what sticks to it, usually closer to 1/4 tsp. Cucumbers are one of the few vegetables he'll eat without me grinding it to a paste.

The verdict: Pretty tasty. In summertime we have this weekly, because it's so ridiculously easy to make, and I can make it well in advance and have it on hand in a pinch.

No comments:

Post a Comment